Located in northeastern South America and derived its name from the Indian language for "land of water". Guyana is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the north, by Suriname (along the Courantyne River) to the east, by Brazil to the south and southwest, and by Venezuela to the west. Also, known as the Co-operative Republic of Guyana. It covers an area of 215,000 sq. kms and is home to a population of 772,000 (descendants from India & African countries). Guyana's national flag is referred to as the Golden Arrow Head. Guyana is home to one of the largest gold mines in the world. The bauxite extraction is also among the largest in the world.
Guyana is also very popular among the international students for Medical Education (MD) at the Top Medical Universities in Guyana. Pursuing MD is quite beneficial for all the students as the degrees offered are globally recognized in a feasible cost.
Fast Facts about Guyana
- Only Commonwealth country on mainland of South America
- Religion observed by the population- Christianity, Hinduism, Islam
- Primary language- English
- Currency- Guyanese Dollar
- Capital - Georgetown
- Main sectors of Guyana's Economy- Wood processing, Food, Clothing, Aquatic product processing & Agriculture
- Other sectors famous- Gold & Diamond mining, Textile printing & Dyeing, Ship repairing
- Primary mineral resources- Bauxite, Gold, Diamonds, Manganese, Molybdenum, Copper, Tantalum, Tungsten, Nickel & Uranium
- Weather- Warm and Tropical with the hot, humid conditions moderated by northeast trade winds
- Tourists attractions- Kaieteur Falls, Botanical Gardens, St. George Cathedrals, Canopy Walkway, Guyana National Museum, etc.
- Highest point- Mount Roraima situated at 2,762 meters is Guyana's tallest peak (on the Venezuelan border and also a part of the Pakaraima range)
Education System in Guyana
- Education is compulsory and free for children of 5-16 years of age
- Based on American Education System.
- School levels in Guyana-
- Primary, Low secondary,
- CSEC (Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate) Examinations,
- CXC Caribbean Advanced Placement Examination (CAPE),
- Tertiary (Bachelors),
- Tertiary (Masters)
- Popular Medical Institutions in Guyana
- Lincoln American University- Guyana
- Greenheart Medical University- Georgetown
- Texila American University, College of Medicine
- Duration of Medical Studies- 5-years for MD degree-
- One Year of Pre-Medicals
- Basic Sciences (2-year/Four semesters),
- Clinical sciences component (2-years) at affiliated hospitals of USA, India, Canada and the Caribbean Islands
- Recognition of Medical Degrees - Indians can easily practice their medical career in India upon their degree completion as Guyana offers globally recognized degrees by Medical Council of India (MCI), International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and enlisted with World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS).