Barbados means "Place of Long Beards" or "Bearded ones" in Portuguese; refers to the fig trees that explorers were drawn in by during their excursions to the region several centuries ago. Barbados is known as the "Land of Flying Fish".
Also, known as "Little Britain" due to its strong historical ties to the United Kingdom. It is located to the east of the Antilles, in the Caribbean (Windward Islands). Barbados covers an area of 431 sq. km with a population of about 277,000. And the majority of the population is of African descent. The Island is popular for its medical standards as it provides free treatment in major Hospitals. ANd hence it is considered as the best place for most of the international students to study MD in the Caribbean Island.
Fun Facts about Barbados
- Religion observed by major population- Christianity
- Primary language- English
- Currency- Barbarian Dollar
- Capital- Bridgetown
- Main sectors of Barbados Economy- Tourism, Manufacturing & Agriculture
- Popular activity- Tourism & Fishing
- National Dish- Cou-Cou and Flying Fish
- Weather- Tropical Monsoon Climates and averages around 80°F.
- Tourists attractions- Beaches like Lane Beach, Batts Rock Beach, Bayshore Beach, etc., Adventure Land, Andromeda Botanic Gardens, Atlantis Submarines, etc.
- Highest point- Mount Hillaby (situated in the parish of St. Andrew)
Education System in Barbados
- Education is compulsory and free for children of 5-16 years of age
- Based on the United States Education System
- School levels in Barbados-
- Primary, Low secondary,
- CSEC (Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate) Examinations,
- CXC Caribbean Advanced Placement Examination (CAPE),
- Tertiary (Bachelors),
- Tertiary (Masters) and
- Tertiary (Doctorate)
- Medical Institutions in Barbados-
- Bridgetown International University,Barbados
- The American University of Barbados
- Victoria University of Barbados, Barbados
- Duration of Medical Studies- 5-years for MD degree-
- One Year of Pre-Medicals
- Basic Sciences (2-year/Four semesters),
- Clinical Sciences component (2-years) at affiliated hospitals of USA, India, Canada and the Caribbean Islands
- Recognition of Medical Degrees- 5-years for MD degree- Indians can easily practice their medical career in India upon their degree completion as Antigua offers globally recognized degrees by Medical Council of India (MCI), International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and enlisted with the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS).