About Saint Lucia
Saint Lucia- A British Commonwealth Country, which is an Island, located in the central eastern Caribbean. It is a part of Windward Islands (called as Islands of Barlovento and are the southern, generally larger islands of the Lesser Antilles, within the West Indies). It covers an area of 616 sq. kms with a population of 160,000, in which almost 90 percent are of African descent.
Officially it was classified as the British Colony, under the Treaty of Paris. After independence was declared on 22 February, 1979; Saint Lucia joined the Commonwealth States
Saint Lucia is known as "Helen of the West Indies". Also, Saint Lucia is known for its quality medical education delivered through its Top Medical Institutions. It provides one of the best MD programs in Caribbean.
Fun Facts about Saint Lucia-
- Religion observed by the majority of population- Christianity
- Primary language- English
- Currency - East Caribbean Dollar (XCD)
- Capital - Castries
- Main sectors of Saint Lucia's Economy- Tourism, Banking industries and Agriculture
- Other sectors famous- Crops produced in Saint Lucia for export include bananas, coconuts, cocoa, avocados, mangoes and other citrus fruits
- Primary mineral sources- Post the revival and growth of the cocoa industry as Saint Lucia is now recognized for producing some of the richest cocoa in the world
- Weather- Tropical climate in which it is hot and humid throughout the year.
- Tourists attractions- The Pitons, Marigot Bay, Hiking the Tet Paul Nature Trail, ATV Tour in Saint Lucia, Sulphur Springs Park Scenic Drive, etc.
- Highest point- Mount Gimie, Canaries that reaches 950m (3117 ft.)
Education System in Saint Lucia-
- Education is compulsory and free for children of 5-15 years of age
- Based on British Education System model.
- School levels in Saint Lucia-
- Primary, Low secondary,
- CSEC (Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate) Examinations
- Caribbean Advanced Placement Examination (CAPE)
- Tertiary (Associate Degree)
- Tertiary (Bachelor of Education)
- Popular Medical Institutions in Saint Lucia-
- Spartan Health Sciences University
- American International Medical University
- Duration of Medical Studies- 5-years for MD degree-
- One Year of Pre-Medicals
- Basic Sciences (2-year/Four semesters)
- Clinical sciences component (2-years)
- Recognition of Medical Degrees- Indians can easily practice their medical career in India upon their degree completion as Saint Lucia offers globally recognized degrees. Medical Council of India (MCI), International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and enlisted with World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS).