On 31st January 1920, the People’s University of Armenia was formed by the Armenian Government. Later on October 1920, the faculty of medicine was incorporated in the University. It was introduced by the government of Armenia to encourage the students undertake medicine as a career and contribute to the society. A renowned Armenian physicist - Mkhitar Heratsi was honoured for his contribution to the field of medicine by naming the Yerevan State Medical University on 25th May, 1989 after him.
Yerevan being the capital of Armenia, is also the biggest education and commerce center of the country. The history clearly prompts that Yerevan is one of the oldest inhabited cities across the globe because of its geographical and topographical location. Like many ancient cities, Yerevan is also situated at the banks of Hrazdan River and is regarded as the industrial, administrative and cultural center for the rest of the country. Ever since 1918, only Yerevan has been groomed as the capital of Armenia and holds various ranks in terms of most strategic location in the Ararat plain.
The primary reason behind the transformation of Yerevan from a provincial town to the biggest cultural, artistic, commercial center for the Armenian region was its significant role during the ancient Russian Empire. It also became the seat of National Government.