In the year 1527,
Philipps University of Marburg
(UMR) was established by Philip I. Landgrave of Hesse, making UMR as one of the oldest German universities and one of the oldest Protestant universities in the world. Recently, the university got the affiliation as one of the public universities of the state of Hesse without any religious domination.
At present, the university has over 28000 students out of which 3000 are international students. The degree offered by Philipps University of Marburg (UMR) is recognized globally by various medical councils including MCI.
The university offers the combination of one of the finest programs with a cutting edge-research to promote young talents of the university.
- Faculty of Medicine (MBBS)
- Faculty of Psychology
- Faculty of Pharmacy (German)
- Faculty of Dentistry
Philipps University of Marburg (UMR) offers comfortable and safe accommodation to all its international students and apart from hostel accommodation, the university gives the option of private housing.
The rooms of the hostel are well equipped with all the modern amenities required by the students. Rooms are provided on a sharing basis of 3-5 students completely depending on the size of the rooms.
The canteen of the hostel provides Indian food apart from other cuisines.
Throughout the year, Philipps University of Marburg (UMR) conducts various kinds of cultural and educational events. To make all international students aware about the culture, history, tradition, and people of Germany, the university organizes various trips and outings. The university hosts various leisure activities for its students such as singing, dancing for the students. UMR also sends students to visit the university’s museums and collections.
The sports centre at UMR provides a vast range of sports such as basketball, football, swimming, etc. to its students.
Interesting facts about the city- Marburg
- The city of Marburg is located in the north of Frankfurt in the Lahn Valley. The city is considered as a typical university town where people from different parts of the world come to study MBBS.
- The city of Marburg has a slogan which says- “Other cities may have a university, but Marburg is a university.”
- The name Marburg means “Frontier Fortress, it was primarily used in the year 1130, when the location was under the enforcement of the landgraves of Thuringia.
- The city’s major economic sectors include the industry of chemicals, pharmaceuticals and the manufacturing of electrical and precision instruments. The Phillips University of Marburg has a prominent role to play in the economy of the city.
- The city of Marburg generally a fairly bearable temperature throughout the year.
- The city has well-connected transportation facilities available for all its citizens and students. Public transportation such as buses and trains are considered as the most comfortable and reliable source for travelling.
- It’s not difficult for students to find a nice restaurant as the city looks after the needs of over 18000 students. The majority of the good restaurants are situated in the Oberstadt.
- The city is famous for its medieval atmosphere. The Elisabeth-Church, Germany's oldest gothic church, and the old castle at the top of the "Oberstadt" are some of the major tourist attraction in the city.